Riverside Criminal Defense Lawyer
Vigorously Defending Those Charged with Crimes
Alleged violations of any statutes contained in the California Penal, Traffic, Health and Safety, and other Codes can lead to criminal charges carrying steep consequences. Offenses such as assault and battery, drug possession, sexual assault, or driving while intoxicated are misdemeanors or felonies punishable by confinement, fines, and other sanctions like sex offender registration or loss of driving privileges. If you have been charged with a crime in Riverside, it is important that you hire a skilled criminal defense attorney right away. Building a legal strategy to challenge accusations takes care and diligence. With an experienced lawyer on your side, you can rest assured knowing that your case is in good hands.
At Kassel and Kassel, our team has extensive experience handling minor to severe criminal cases. Recognizing the effects of a charge and/or conviction on a person’s life, we hold ourselves to a high standard with any matter we pursue. We practice with integrity, ethics, and strong values and have earned a reputation as a trusted name in the Inland Empire. When you choose us to represent you, you will work with a Riverside criminal defense lawyer who will treat you with professionalism and respect and keep your best interest in focus as we fight toward an optimal outcome on your behalf.
To schedule a free consultation with us, please call (909) 581-4888 or submit an online contact form today.
Criminal Charges & Penalties in California
In California, the two main types of criminal charges are misdemeanors and felonies. In general, a misdemeanor is less serious than a felony offense. However, a misdemeanor conviction can still lead to serious criminal penalties, such as spending significant time in county jail and fines worth thousands of dollars.
A standard misdemeanor carries a maximum jail term of 6 months and/or a fine no more than $1,000. On the other hand, a gross misdemeanor is punishable by a jail sentence of up to 364 days and/or a maximum fine of $1,000.
A felony is much harsher because a conviction can result in a state prison sentence and fines worth tens of thousands of dollars. Imprisonment for felonies is based on one of three terms: a low term, a middle term, or a high term.
Lastly, there are certain offenses that are considered “wobblers,” which are crimes that can either be charged as a misdemeanor or a felony. The prosecution will decide whether to pursue misdemeanor or felony charges for wobbler offenses in California.
Our criminal defense lawyer in Riverside provides representation for various matters including, but not limited to:
- Assault and battery: In California, these are two separate offenses where assault is the attempt to cause injury to another and battery is using force against someone else.
- Arson: Charges may arise when someone willfully sets fire to a structure, forest, or property.
- Child abuse: The offense involves intentionally inflicting bodily injury upon or neglecting a minor.
- Domestic violence: These crimes include harm or threatened harm against a family or household member.
- Drug charges: Controlled substance offenses include possession, possession with intent, and sale and distribution. They can also involve possession of drug paraphernalia.
- DUI: A person may be charged with driving under the influence if their ability to safely operate a vehicle is impaired by alcohol and/or drugs or they had a BAC of 0.08% or more.
- Expungements: Convictions for certain crimes may be sealed, meaning it no longer appears on a person’s public record. This legal vehicle offers a second chance to those hindered by past mistakes.
- Fraud: Generally, fraud involves using deceit or misrepresentation to unlawfully obtain something of value from another person or entity. Crimes include, but are not limited to, check fraud, health care fraud, and insurance fraud.
- Juvenile law: In many cases, when a minor is charged with a crime, a juvenile court will hear the matter. The process is much different from that of the adult justice system.
- Manslaughter and murder: Unlawfully taking another person’s life, with or without planning, is one of the most serious crimes and carries some of the steepest penalties.
- Sex crimes: Offenses include, but are not limited to, sexual battery, rape, sexual assault of a child, and child pornography. Penalties usually include a requirement to register as a sex offender in addition to incarceration and fines.
- Theft: Generally, theft is the unlawful taking of another person’s property or any item of value. Some offenses include theft by larceny, an employee or agent, false pretense, and embezzlement.
- Traffic violations: Offenses include speeding, running a red light, reckless driving, and hit and run. Paying the fines for the citation is the same as pleading guilty, resulting in a mark on a person’s record.
How Our Riverside Criminal Defense Attorneys Can Help
Every criminal case is different. No two defendants or situations are alike. At Kassel and Kassel, our criminal defense attorney in Riverside understands this. That is why we provide personalized legal representation. We get to know you as a person, listen to your side about the circumstances leading to your arrest and charge, and determine an individualized path forward.
Still, although each case is unique, the underlying processes one must go through to resolve a matter are similar. The defense must review the evidence, research case law, and negotiate with the prosecutor or present arguments in court. Thus, if you have been charged with a crime, hiring an attorney who understands the system is crucial. Just as vital is receiving counsel from someone who has handled cases like yours.
We have taken on everything from minor traffic violations to serious murder charges. Additionally, we have built strong relationships with local judges and prosecutors. On top of that, we are skilled trial attorneys prepared to take a case to trial if a resolution is not possible outside of court.
Schedule a Free Consultation
If you have been charged with a crime, you do not have to handle your case alone. Allow our criminal defense lawyer in Riverside to provide the guidance and aggressive representation you need.
At Kassel and Kassel, we help our clients see the options available to fight a criminal charge and pursue a just outcome. We want to hear your side of the story and determine what legal avenues to take.
Discuss your case by contacting us at (909) 581-4888.
WHY ARE WE THE TRUSTED CHOICE?See Why You Want Us by Your Side
Our Firm Has Handled Multiple High-Profile Cases
Strong Relationships with Local Judges & Prosecutors
Someone Will Be Able to Answer the Phone 24/7
Extensive Trial Experience with Successful Outcomes
A Local & Trusted Firm Since 1953